Portland, Texas is located in southeastern San Patricio County on a bluff overlooking Nueces and Corpus Christi Bays. The town was a dream
of John G. Willacy who effectively merged the New England Land Co. of Portland, Maine, New England Real Estate Co.,
and the Portland Harbor and Improvement Co. of Wichita, Kansas, into working unit and purchased 1,920 acres of land from
Coleman-Fulton Pasture Co. in 1891. Post office authorized on March 9,1891; incorporated n 1949.